Aah! I’m not dead, I promise! Just hibernating! So over this cold weather!! Where’s the summerrr??!!
So many of my friends got the aaawesome Galaxy S2 LTE today! So I’m posting a list of my favorite Android apps. These are my personal favorites. I don’t have many, so if you find something really cool PLEASE leave a comment and tell me about it!!
* Whatsapp, kakao talk and Skype – for obvious reasons. Side note about Skype: If you plan on phoning home often, but some skype credit, or get a subscription (Subscription to landlines in South Africa: 13,000 / month for 400 minutes). Then you can walk around in Seoul, punch in your home number and when you press dial, tap on “complete action using skype”. It will automatically sign you in and dial with your skype subscription. Awesome!!
* Seoul subway – there are many, search for the one created by “Shining” (gray logo, white subway pic and colored lines at the top) BEST app for seoul – You punch in the departure and arrival stations and it shows you the best route (depending on what you choose – shortest time / distance / minimum transfers)
* For other subways (Busan, Daegu etc), Jihachul is in English.
* Viber – you can call family members (who also have smartphones & Viber) for free. (it’s a data call, like skype, but to their cellphones)
* TuneIn Radio – stream your favourite radio stations – Anything from Algoa fm, 5fm and even BOKRadio.
* 3G Watchdog (green logo with white dog). It shows you how much data you’ve used (great if you just have 3 gigs data and not unlimited)
* Battery Circle – shows remaining battery life in % so you don’t have to guess.
* Brightest Flash light – It uses your camera flash as a flashlight, but I’ve used it many times!!!
* Dropbox – Most people will know about Dropbox web-storage on the internet anyways. Now you can sync your dropbox account on your phone.
* Google Translate. You’re in Korea. Get it.
* xe.com – For checking the currency conversion rate before sending your millions home.
* News24 if you want to read some SA newspapers.
* Barcode scanner – Seen something nice in a shop? Like some Galaxy accessories?? Scan the bar code to search for it online.
* Stumble Upon – Same as online version. For those long boring Mugunghwa trains.
* PicSay – silly little app, but nice for playing around with photos.
* TripAdvisor – haven’t used mine a lot, but since we’re here to travel too……
Serious time wasters:
1) Where’s my Water. - Haha funnyyyy! Little crocodile game, where you have to direct water through obstacles to get him to take a bath. Addictive.
2) 1 to 50 – who has the fastest fingers? tap the numbers (1-50) in order as fast as you can. Addictive. Funny when other players are slightly intoxicated.
3) DrawFree – the new CRAZE. Play pictionary with your friends. It’s not timed, so you play whenever you can or want to. Sounds really silly, but it’s quite nice! Drawing things like “Korea” ”McHammer” and “Dandruff” has never been more interesting! <- this SERIOUSLY chows battery life though… so play before you go to bed or something!
I found my battery life to be saaadly short in the beginning. It’s MUCH better after a few charges etc. Keep power saving mode enabled (under settings). Mine automatically switches to Power Saving Mode at 70%. Also, the Galaxy has an awesome display, but remember that darker colored wallpapers also save some battery life. Not a must, but good to know!